The smelter facility was used for aluminum reduction from 1940 into the late 1990s and required total dismantlement once operations ceased under a tight schedule for an impending property sale. Envirocon provided comprehensive facility demolition, soil remediation, waste management, and asset recovery services at the site.
- Identified and removed all hazardous materials including spent potliner (K088) waste containing high concentrations of cyanide, asbestos containing material (ACM), and universal wastes prior to demolition
- Dismantled and processed cells and residual materials within for disposal or salvage/recycling
- Safely demolished over 70 total structures and 1 million square feet of facilities using a combination of controlled felling, crane picks, and explosive means
- Managed all demolition debris and materials as potential assets and salvaged or recycled over 29,000 tons of metals and more than 200,000 tons of asphalt, brick, and concrete
- Delivered the project safely, on schedule, and on budget, despite last-minute plan revisions to ensure that the client’s ore unloading operations remained active during demolition
Envirocon performed extensive pre-cleaning of structures and focused efforts to streamline waste management activities and maximize salvage and recycling for the project. In total, our team recycled over 29,000 tons of ferrous and non-ferrous metals, 800 tons of aluminum, and 200,000 tons of asphalt, brick, and concrete while maintaining the project schedule, budget, and zero-incident performance.