Envirocon demolished two historic dams and restored a creek at this environmentally sensitive site. In addition, we re-routed the creek and restored the stream bank as part of the design/build project. We performed constructabilty reviews, managed public relations, obtained access agreements, and worked under the regulatory oversight of a trustee group and EPA Region 4.
- Demolished a 150-foot x 30-foot reinforced concrete dam
- Lowered water levels behind the dam using 30-inch siphons
- Provided technical constructability reviews for cell construction, dredging, dam removal, regulatory negotiations, and site restoration
- Constructed a 27-acre, 400,000-cubic yard RCRA-equivalent repository for sediments contaminated with PCBs
- Received 2012 Environmental Excellence Award from the National Demolition Association for continued leadership and innovation in “green” development and corporate environmental stewardship
A hurricane passed over the project site during construction of the repository which resulted in a significant storm event. Envirocon’s erosion controls and mitigating actions limited the impact of the hurricane and resulted in little to no impact to the construction schedule.