This Superfund Site was used for the production of elemental phosphorous from 1947 until 1981 and encompassed nearly 130 acres on a southern coastline. Envirocon provided excavation of contaminated soils, cell construction and capping, cutoff wall installation, and cove dredging services after safely and reliably completing two previous projects at the site.
- Excavated, managed, and consolidated 202,000 cubic yards of highly-combustible pyrophoric phosphate waste, slag, contaminated soil, and debris
- Constructed and capped a 26-acre and an 18-acre RCRA equivalent lined cell where phosphorous waste was placed
- Installed a 2,800-foot groundwater cutoff wall using 20-foot sheets of fiberglass composite sheeting and 1,500 feet of marine bulkhead along the adjacent river
- Excavated impacted sediments to enlarge a cove
- Maintained critical fire suppression protocols and safety procedures as some of the phosphorous material was pyrophoric
A hard sandstone subsurface was encountered during initial installation of the constructed vinyl sheet pile. Envirocon’s technical experts redesigned the wall to incorporate an increased number of tie-backs and a shallow drive depth. This adapted design and approach reduced the project schedule and saved the client costs on the sheetpile installation.